Tuesday, October 28, 2014

International Space Station

Last evening I photographed the International Space Station (ISS) for the first time. I receive emails from NASA on when the ISS will pass over my area, and I have watched it pass over numerous times, but this is the first time using a camera (Canon 7D, with Canon 15-85 lens). I used Bulb mode, with manual focus at infinity. The photo was obviously taken when using a tripod. I used a remote release cord.

The photo has these specs: 28s, f/5.6, ISO 500, 17mm.

The sky was dark, about 45 minutes after sunset. Even with a dark sky, to my eyes, the camera's sensor picked up so much light, with a long exposure, that the sky is light. I used a curves adjustment in Photoshop to darken the sky while trying to lighten the satellite track.

The ISS reflection is more visible in a darker photo, so if I wanted a longer streak, I probably would need to take several shots.

The colored leaves were an unexpected treat in the dark sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment